Powered By Blogger

Monday 21 March 2011

Hastings Half Race Report

Chris and I arrived at Hastings about one hour before the start parked the car and then walked down to the start. It was perfect running conditions. 10.30am and we are off to the sound of Chariots of Fire blasting out.

I had been warned that the start in tough. The first 6 miles are pretty much all up hill which was very tough and after about one mile I was wishing that I had not worn my Jacket. I had to take my jacket off and tie it round my waist and it kept banging on my legs which was really annoying. The crowds were really great and once the first 6 miles were over it was pretty much all down hill apart from the last couple of miles at the end which are along the sea front.

I finished in 1.58 which was perfect timing. I wanted to take things easy and run at 9 minutes a mile slightly faster than marathon pace, which is exactly what I achieved. However, the thought of having to do another 13.1 miles really hit me hard as I just would have struggled.

After the race we went for a paddle in the sea. The sea was freezing but it did our legs the world of good.

Overall summary I would recommend Hastings Half. Great course, good support from the crowds and nice medal.

Next weekend I have a 18 miler planned with Dave another running buddy.




2 comments:

  1. Well done Clive I am so pleased you have done this and with a good time. How are your aches and pains at the moment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jerry very kind of you. My legs were fine after the run but I was tired. We bathed in the sea afterwards which was really cold but it did our legs the world of good. I was surprised at the difference it makes. My friend Chris is a sports physio and he say that it reduces the swelling and is a great aid to recovery and I can confirm it works

    ReplyDelete