Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 22 March 2011

Runnings are friendly people

I am always amazed by how friendly runners are. This was proved again at the end of Hastings Half. My friend Chris decided to buy a bacon roll but did not have enough money so he asked me if I had any money. I had left my wallet in the car so Chris said jokingly we will have to look on the ground and see if we can find any money. Previously I had spoken to a few people from Orpington Road Runner (ORR) and Chris said why not try see if I could borrow some money from one of my friends.

Standing next to me was a member of Petts Wood Running Club ( PWR). I introduced myself as a member of ORR and his name was Chris. I thought I could not ask to borrow some money without some introduction so I asked Chris if he knew Jerry Smallwood a fellow of PWR. Chris did not know Jerry. I said you must know Jerry, the guy who runs in Union Jack shorts- Chris replied you mean the ultra runner. We had a little chat and the ice was broken and I asked if I could borrow some money for two bacon rolls thinking I could pass the money back to Jerry to give to Chris.

Chris said he was more than happy to buy a couple of guys from ORR a bacon sandwich especially as it was not his money but the club secretarys John Gurney.

Funnily now Chris  did not have enough money for his order and I ended up asking the woman behind the counter if she would let us off 50p and she said yes.

I love this friendly behaviour and the world would be a lot better if people behaved more like runners.

2 comments: